Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekly Dervish Update: Narrow Loss Edition

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

- Helen Keller - Author, Activist, Noted Softball Player

Damn straight, Helen "Wheels" Keller. My first thought as I sat down to write this was that posting weekly updates is much less fun when they follow weekly losses. We lost, 13-12 in the bottom of the seventh inning. I've been trying not to think about it too much, because even though intellectually I know softball doesn't matter, I also learned in second grade that intellectuals are gaywads and winning is always awesome. Ask anyone: I hate losing. I'm completely insufferable for about 30 minutes after I lose at something. I fume and rant and bitch and throw things and generally comport myself poorly. Beyond 30 minutes I'm usually fine and I revert to my baseline level of insufferability. But talking about losses is still no fun. So I'm not going to go into too many details; I'll save those for when (if) we win a game. In the meantime I'm taking shelter in the soothing words of great thinkers/softball players of the past.

There is a strength in the union even of very sorry men.
- Homer - Poet, Power-Hitting Shortstop

No comments: